In March 8, 1859, Christian became the 113th of Missouri’s 114 counties. It was carved from portions of Greene, Taney and Webster Counties, the latter two having earlier taken their territories also from Greene County. Only Worth, the state’s smallest county, and the independent city of St. Louis were created later. Mrs. Neaves, a landowner hesitant to lose her citizenship of Greene County in order to join the proposed county, agreed to do so if it were named for her former Kentucky residence, Christian County.The few early arrivals, who left when the federal government moved numerous Indian tribes from the east here in the early 1820’s, returned when the natives were removed to Kansas City and the area re-opened for settlement in 1833. Although the earliest families were from Ohio and Indiana, soon most settlers were arriving from Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland, Alabama, and Mississippi.
Here, water formed the land and the lifestyle – from the valley-spanning entrance to Smallin Cave; the water mills along the James and Finley Rivers where settlements began; and the hills and hollows along Bull Creek, Swan Creek and lesser streams.
Christian County’s location between Missouri’s third largest city, Springfield, and America’s music boomtown, Branson, has fueled growth that increased the 1980 population of 22,402 by nearly 150% to the 2000 population 54,285. Estimates for population at the end of 2003 ranges from about 60,000 to around 62,000.
Take the US-65 BUS S/MO-14/Jackson St exit from US-65 S Follow MO-14 E/US-65 BUS S to W Elm St Follow MO-14 E/US-65 BUS S to W Elm St .