Since James River Basin Partnership's inception 20 years ago, our volunteers, members, and staff have committed through action, education, and research, to preserve and protect water quality within the James River basin and our beautiful Ozarks landscape.
We are a grassroots, not-for-profit, 501(c)3 organization working to improve and protect the water quality of the springs, streams, rivers, and lakes in the James River watershed which consists of almost a million acres of land in portions of eight counties.
In the late 1990’s, the water quality in Table Rock Lake began to decline. A major algae bloom occurred in the James River arm of Table Rock Lake - disrupting local ecology, threatening tourism, and raising concerns about local health. The event prompted media attention and citizen action. Through a project of the Southwest Missouri Resource Conservation and Development, a group of passionate citizens formed our non-profit, the James River Basin Partnership, in 1997. By August 1999, we became an autonomous grassroots organization, relying on grant funding, memberships, municipality support and donations from individuals and businesses.
Our financial backbone is comprised of approximately 70% federal, state, and foundational grant funding, while the remaining 30% is supported directly through citizen donations, Business and Individual & Family membership, and fundraising events. We are proud to have overall support from our community and local businesses that are dedicated to protecting our waterways.
Office is within the MSU building on Downtown Springfield's Park Central Square (across the street from the delicious Coffee Ethic)